My Passion for Basketball: A Story By Ross Gomez

As I have heard the story of Jason Mcelwain the autistic basketball player who shocked the world, I would create my own version of the story through my experience. The media portrays Jason Mcelwain as a story that shocked the world in a single game. But, I will detail all the process that I had been through in my basketball life pursuing the hobby I have been in.

Defenders all around doubling and triple teaming the guy(which is me) that has the ball. The guy in this picture threw the open pass to a teammate afterwards for a score. Credits: Manuel Nierra (2013)
Compared to Jason McElwain who is smaller than me standing at 5”6 I am 3-4 inch taller than him. Jason’s game is to catch and shoot in a particular spot in the right corner. My game was originally more in the inside displaying footwork, power and smarts in taking advantage in mismatches. I was naturally a rebounder, brick wall, and banger inside. But as I grew older and meet bigger and more athletic opponents, I decided to focus on my shooting and practiced more dribbling to score. I am not a big time scorer in leagues but my role as helping the team to get open shots by screening, boxing out, and putting missed shots on a putback. I can attract double or triple teams that create passing opportunities and occasionally play the role of a point forward, because I love to pass on open teammates. I decide to hustle and run opponents. Most of my peers and playmates said that I was fundamentally sound despite not being the fastest and not having insane verticals. My strengths on defense was containing the defender well and positioning my body to force a turnover. I tried rim protecting in high school as well. I tried a lot of playing styles and positions in every tournaments that I joined and as years passed by I was enjoying roles. Though I did not achieve to reach the rim on my jump, I had a decent athleticism for my body. I was learning and learning until now. Yet my best asset is my heart and passion for the game which would inspire me to work for a team.

Hand me the ball big fellah. . Credits: Erick Loquez Photography
My disadvantage over Jason is that I had not a chance to prove myself in a school varsity or in the professional level or semi pro level. Yet my passion in playing basketball wasn’t waning until now. I had not a chance to try out on prestigious universities especially in Manila or Cebu where they recruit talent bound for professional basketball. People would not automatically join me in teams due to my temper (because of having a personality which refuses to wait).  Yet the remedy was simple manage emotions, I had mastered it for years now and enjoy a decent amount of leagues in the intercolor, intramural, interpurok, interchurch or inter village and visit places around subdivisions in Davao is a big achievement for a person with Autism who enjoys the game and connect people through basketball. Recently, most leagues here in Davao became more of a business where “Panalay” or pay for play takes place and prizes are big and most entrance fees are expensive, I hardly now have a chance to join because most of my friends do not have the money to join unless you find a sponsor. Most of the leagues now are stat laden, like an organized college and professional leagues which is not there before. This is due to the emergence of marketing strategies through social media which increases the hype of a player instantly. Regardless of it I continue to enjoy playing when friends invite me to play elsewhere.

Watching the guys shoot inside. Courtesy: Yan-yan Angelo/CCF Sports Minstiry Group Page
Next is God put me in a basketball ministry, which is run by Christ Commission Fellowship through their initiative they use the sport to bring players or people closer to God, they express it through basketball. They helped me to manage myself in the court and off the court by God’s grace and favor. God glory was there when my friends from different background attended they had the chance to be touched by God’s word every game. This is where God really put me in purpose. God first and the sport was secondary. Assisting the core and inviting players was my job in that ministry. But the crucial job is to intercede so that God will expand His borders and I am working to expand His ministry and handle different kinds of people. Trusting the process plays a part of me because we aim for God’s best and obeying in Him is very crucial.
I had observe patterns in playing my favourite sport as an individual and on the spectrum. Although preference would vary from people whether they are in the spectrum or not, I observed myself displaying these characteristics in playing basketball at least socially.

1.) I like to have the buddy who I choose to be with – In my fourteen years of experience whether it in a park or playing in the hardwood, I really had attachments to people whom I was attracted to play with. Factors are they pass the ball to me, usually a point guard or a ball handler, I usually prefer teammates who click with me the first time we met.  Some people misinterpreted it as being homosexual, because I always push myself to a particular person. But I see it as brotherhood which I don’t have at home at least technically.

Power move. Credits to: Core Aces Facebook Account

2.) I tend to remember teammates and playmates that I had played well with – They are the ones who had confidence with me. Their trust is wagering and they meant a lot to me. They were the ones who supported me despite my autism. I remember people who pass me the ball too often to me rather for those who didn’t. I tend to remember how I score and replay it on my mind over and over again and remember who assisted on it.

3.) I dislike not being involved in scoring despite my good contributions on other areas of the game and the intangibles –
Self-Explanatory, yet it affect my disposition in the court and make me think that I do not perform well enough. It will lead to the next point which is. . .

4.) I like to impress people – I really like to impress people whom I encountered, my loved ones, friends, coaches, teammates, women and casual audiences. Nothing wrong with that but when I didn’t put the stat sheet full of number I get frustrated. I even got frustrated when I did not register a block, steal, rebound and assists how much more in scoring. I like to prove to all of the people that I am good in playing and if people didn’t approve of me I got devastated and my world would shun into pieces and cannot move on so I form hatred on my heart, because I wanted to be respected and admired. I got myself to the next point which is related to it,

5.) I had a monicker “Idol” – The monicker of “Idol” was first told to me in high school. I didn’t expect to call me that all I expected is to work to improve my game and being a late bloomer is enough motivation for me to work on my weaknesses. That reason was my low self esteem and society’s doubts about me as player with autism. In college however ballers called me idol, due to my aggressive style of play and enthusiasm to learn the sport.

6.) When that choice of that buddy is not granted I get frustrated – I am referring to my point number one. Yes, I felt empty when I get rejected. There are people that no matter you reach them out to be your friend and buddy in basketball they just flat out reject you.  Then obsession sets in that make me crave for it more but ending up in a false pursuit.

7.) When that choice of that buddy is granted I get overly attached that I always think about that buddy -
It is partly due to wanting this people to be closer to God or God is calling me to pray for that person and asking Jesus to draw Him near to Him.  But in extreme cases I became overly dependent on that buddy I set others people to be like that particular buddy.

8.)  I do like to have plays involved in basketball – I really want to work on my game despite my autism. Opportunities must run in favor of you.  That is what on my mind while playing. I really want to practice having the ball on my hand when game matters and have confidence. I really work when I have given scoring and defensive responsibilities. I used to play like Tim Duncan or Hakeem Olajuwon on pick up games during my school days. I currently work to be like James Harden or Kyrie Irving for my dribble moves and scoring moves due to the evolving game. I usually look for the ball in the post or in the wing to isolate and create scoring and passing opportunities, and in the pick and roll as the roll and pop man to score. I aim now to be a primary ball handler for a team to expand my game and to adapt to the game of the young people.  

9.) I do prefer a slow paced offense rather than fast paced ones – It encourages more passing opportunities and more time to create your own shot and teammates shot. Not that I am not for a fast paced game but I thrive on predictability on offense and routine which will milk down precious seconds on the clock.

10.) I love to put heart on my game – Basketball is about never giving up, that lingers my mind despite discouragements emotionally, psychologically and mentally. There are games that you work for but you do not get the optimum performance in the game. There are games that come naturally to you. My struggle is that I want to be always at the top of my game and excel every game.

Bonus: I wanted to be treated as normal as possible I do not want restrictions on my game, because we are blessed to have two hand and two feet so why restrict a player?

In addition to ten characteristics, I would share to you how I regulated myself with these desires of mine:

1.) Detach yourself by making a lot of friends – Have a lot of connections as much as possible, to minimize the obsessions that you have. The attachment will be there for person in the spectrum or not but It can be managed in a way that can attachment can be tolerable. In my case, I have specific buddies to go with but when we need to detach, there are people to come to. Some people you play with can be an ally or opponent in real life. So be careful in selecting friends and at the same time have a friendly competition and enjoy the game.

2.) Be open to changes – People with Autism really find it difficult to adapt to changes but thanks to a lot of circle of peers and the guidance of my family change is now welcomed on my system. Basketball is a game of changes and evolutions that must be employed. Players need to master their gifts as an individual and team player.

3.) Manage your emotions – I really put my heart into the game that is my asset. Yet when put in to an extreme, we got contained a lot by emotions which affect the whole game of an individual. Manage you passion in the name of composure.  Learning this technique can be done by relaxation and self meditation.  

4.) Converse to people who want to help you – If you have teammates that are capable to help you tell them where to position according to your skill, position, and game situations, both defensively and offensively. Sometimes you must delegate scoring to your teammates if you have an off night or they are in position for better opportunities. But there are time you must step up your game and take the responsibility on offense and defense and perform when it matters, just be with the right team and teammates.

5.) Never play for Stats – This is what you call of stat padding despite not piling up the stats wanted like having triple double or quadruple double, do not play defense just to get steals , blocks of rebounds. It is important to have smarts in the game.  Which is determine where the ball is heading, deny opportunities for the opposing player to get the ball, and set screens and box out for opponents. I do not say that you do not get blocks and steals but play the right way and these stats come naturally and do not expect it to come.

6.) Aim Big – Never be bothered by person’s negative feedbacks and criticisms that limit you. Treat it as lessons and turn it to positive energy in return. Strive yourself until you reach the goal you want to achieve. Success is a step by step process that is bittersweet. As you heard the phrase “You are what you eat” often, I say “You are what you think”. Work to exceed expectations of others  and discover new ways to improve your game.

7.) Commitment and Dedication – This commonly heard to the step for success. Commitment is tested when there are obstacles on our way and when we feel not like we are working we must continue because this builds character. We must be diligent in attending practices and treat is as if you’re going to work every day. Also have a purpose on what you are doing. It should be in the pursuit of becoming better for the glory of God. 
Basketball is an art. Credits: Erick Loquez Photography
8.) Practice good sportsmanship  – Be a humble winner and a good loser. In every sport you play shake hands with your opponents despite the outcome of the game. When things go wrong initiate the reconcillation process and as the Bible say love even your enemies pray for them that they will be blessed.

9.) Be a team player – at all cost contribute for the good of the team in winning or in losing. Never think that you will be the hero all day every game is different. Teammates are there to make a collaborative effort to hold the W. They have different ways to score the ball and accept it. In defense we must work in stopping the opponent to score. It takes a team to defend every ball possessions.

10.) Seek counsel – It can be your coach, teammate, friend, teacher, parents, spouse, sibling and especially God. They will instruct you how to be a model athlete. In my case I had become one, because of these support system whom I obediently followed. They may have more knowledge than you but we must act on our goodwill dictates and not to rely on them too much. Seek the righteousness of God. 

Warming Up. Credits: AdDU Athletics Department

Mga Komento

Kilalang Mga Post